Chicken Liver Mousse, Pickled Shallots and Arugula Pesto
Serves: 6-8 | Prep Time: 45 minutes | Cook Time: 30-45 minutes
1 pound chicken livers, cleaned
2 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup cognac, or brandy
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
1 cinammon stick
6 allspice berries
1/2 tablespoon whole cloves
4 tablespoons butter, melted, and clarified
salt and pepper, to taste
Sherry vinegar, to taste
2 shallots, peeled and slice 1/8 thick
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 allspice berries
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
2 cups arugula leaves, blanched
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon pistachios, raw
- Over low heat, steep thyme, cinnamon, cloves and allspice in heavy cream. Gently simmer for 5 minutes. Do not reduce. Strain.
- Over medium heat, sweat shallots in 2 tablespoons of butter until translucent. Add livers and gently cook until pink in the middle, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add to blender.
- Puree chicken livers with strained cream, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and sherry vinegar. Pour mousse into jars evenly and top with clarified butter. Chill for 6-8 hours.
- To pickle shallots, bring water, vinegar, salt, sugar and spices up to a boil. Turn off heat, strain and pour over shallots. Chill.
- To make arugula pesto, combine all ingredients in a blender and puree, leaving the consistency somewhat chunky.
- Serve chicken mousse alongside, pesto, pickled shallots and toasted crostini.
- Enjoy with our 2014 WALT "Blue Jay" Anderson Valley Pinot Noir.